[QE-users] Huge memory requirements for a scf calculation of a system consisting with 300+ atoms.

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Wed May 27 15:26:09 CEST 2020

Fully agree with this! If I can add, using the Baldereschi point (or, to
make it simple, 1/4 1/4/ 1/4 in crystal coordinates), and nosym=.true.
allows you to do a calculation with one k-point that is almost as
accurate as using a 2x2x2 shifted monkhorst pack mesh (i.e. 2 2 2 1 1
1), at a cost that is only twice as large as a Gamma only calculation.

If a metal, use 0.03 Ry of smearing (either m-p or m-v), and indeed you
are good to go for a fast but quite accurate relaxation.

				nicola