[QE-users] How to obtain spin-state in QE?

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat May 23 14:17:02 CEST 2020

you can choose tot_magnetization = total majority spin charge - minority
spin charge

in your input.

this way you can determine the energy of the configuration with maximum
multiplicity (like the triplet state in a dissociating hydrogen dimer).
by choosing other values you can access linear combinations of the
different states (like the Sz=0  state for a dissociating hydrogen simer
is a 50/50 superposition of the singlet and triplet (Sz=0) states).

at the equilibrium geometry tho the Sz=0 state is non degenerate and it
is therefore the desired singlet... it really depends on the degeneracy
of the different (broken symmetry) solutions that you can stabilize.

useful read U. von Barth, Local-density theory of multiplet structure,
PRA 20 1693 (1979),  DOI:10.1103/PhysRevA.20.1693

HTH

stefano