[QE-users] SIGSEGV fault in phonon calculation

Dominik Gresch greschd at gmx.ch
Thu May 21 00:18:23 CEST 2020

Dear Ruochen Shi,

A segmentation fault generally does not occur because of lack of
available memory. In that case, you would see an error like "out of
memory, killed", or "killed (signal 9)" - the details of which depend on
your OS, MPI library, and possibly scheduler.

Segmentation faults instead occur when a program tries to access memory
that it is not allowed to - because it is not allocated for this
process, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmentation_fault

In general this is a "program error", meaning there is a fault in your
compiled executable. This does /not/ necessarily mean that it is a
problem with Quantum ESPRESSO - in fact, most of these problems occur
due to bugs in the underlying (MPI, BLAS, FFT) libraries or how they
were compiled and linked.

Since there are a million places in which a segfault can occur, it is
basically impossible to debug remotely. Your options are:

- try running the QE test suite. If you see segfaults there, it is
almost guaranteed to be a library / compilation issue
- compile the code with lower optimization level, enabling debug
statements, bounds checking, ...
- make sure the libraries used are compiled and linked correctly, or try
using different ones
- use a debugger, like gdb. This article
https://www.cprogramming.com/debugging/segfaults.html might be a decent
introduction

Best regards,

Dominik Gresch