[QE-users] Momentum matrix element on PBE+U

Timrov Iurii iurii.timrov at epfl.ch
Fri May 15 11:13:19 CEST 2020

> Did you mean [J. Chem. Phys. 120, 9935 (2004)] by Toby and Dal Corso?

The correct reference (without mistakes) is this: J. Tóbik<https://aip.scitation.org/author/T%C3%B3bik%2C+Jaroslav> and A. Dal Corso<https://aip.scitation.org/author/Dal+Corso%2C+Andrea>, J. Chem. Phys. 120, 9934 (2004).

See Eq. (7) in this paper, which is for the ultra-soft pseudos. For norm-concerning pseudos, see Eq. (14) in S. Baroni and R. Resta, Phys. Rev. B 33, 7017 (1986).

> I could not find an expression for the momentum matrix element in that reference, I think that reference is only about the extra term involving the ultrasoft pseudopotential?

Let me try to explain for the corn-conserving case, which is simpler. The routine "compute_ppsi" has p - i [x, V_{nl}], where p is the momentum and V_{nl} is the nonlocal part of the pseudopotential. See the right-hand side of Eq. (15) in Phys. Rev. B 33, 7017 (1986). See also Eqs. (8) and (9) in

A. Marini, G. Onida, and R. Del Sole, Phys. Rev. B 64, 195125 (2001).

So actually the code computes not only the matrix element of the momentum p, but also it contains an extra contribution due to the non-local part of the pseudopotential. In the DFT+U case, there is yet another term given by Eq. (53) in Phys. Rev. B 101, 064305 (2020).

Finally, some related discussion about this (how to compute an electron velocity using these "tricks") is given in Sec. 6.1.3(a) of my PhD thesis: https://pastel.archives-ouvertes.fr/pastel-00823758/

HTH

Iurii

--