[QE-users] Different implementations of the Hubbard 'U' between QE and VASP

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Wed May 6 18:50:57 CEST 2020

Dear Shivesh,

this is really important: as Iurii and Paolo already mentioned, U is
*not* a universal parameter. For the same element and for the same
material, it can be easily 3eV or 7eV (e.g. if the Hubbard manifold it
acts upon has been taken say from a pseudopotential (NCPP/USPP/PAW)
generated in a neutral configuration or in an oxidized one).

So, that means that the same identical material - say, MnO - should be
studied using a U for Mn of 3.13 if you use pseudopotential "A", and
7.56eV when you use pseudopotential "B" for Mn. For a slightly
compressed unit cell, maybe the U for "A" would be 3.10eV, and for "B"
7.74eV.

Looking at the literature wouldn't help - especially (IMNSHO) because
almost noone has understood what the U is.

			nicola