[QE-users] Cohesive energies and PPs errors

De Gary, Alban Alban.DeGary at evotec.com
Fri Mar 6 16:24:34 CET 2020

Dear subscribers and developers,
I'm a new user (2nd year master student) on Quantum Espresso and I'm trying to get used to it. I tested few simple structures like Si fcc, NaCl fcc and Urea tertragonal P. My goal is determining Cohesive energy of the crystal structure.

1-      For the Si fcc, I followed the tutorial and get values, but I'm not sure I can rely on my results. I obtained different value for the final energy https://materialsproject.org/materials/mp-149/
output ex_Si

2-      To make sure I understood what I made, I did it again for an ionic crystal NaCl (a model of calculation for cohesive energy). I encountered some problems. First, the total energy, again, let me suspicious compared to results (for scf calculation and ionic relaxation) in the literature. Second, I started to meet problems with the PP, but I quickly resolved it.
output ex_NaCl

3-      Finally, my goal is perform this kind of calculation for organic molecules. I tried it on Urea tetragonal P. Now, I am really stuck on the use of PP. I have chosen adapted PP, but I still get errors from the output. I tried various possibilities of PP, but it ended the same. Can you please explain me what kind PP should I choose for my calculation (even if I tried with all of them on your website) and why ?
Here are the output errors
Input and output Urea
One more question: How can I open the file charge-density.dat I know it's binary coded so I tried to open it with XCrysDen. Unfortunately, it crashes all the time.

Thank you for your help
Best regards,

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY.

This email and any attachments may contain confidential, proprietary, privileged and/or private information.
If received in error, please notify us immediately by reply email and then delete this email and any attachments from your system. Thank you!

https://www.evotec.com/en/about/site-information/data-protection-fr