[QE-users] Energy of isolated atom of CaO

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatz at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 16:09:10 CEST 2020

As I said before, even if you manage to converge this calculation, you
will not get the binding energy of CaO. If you are lucky, you may get
the energy required to disintegrate the compound, which is really not
the same thing.

Furthermore, putting two atoms in a cell and pulling them far apart is a
guaranteed way to run into DFT shortcomings. The two species may want to
be charged with fractionary charge (ie. Ca^1.5+ and O^1.5-) which do not
exist as isolated ions. Finally, the long range 1/r electrostatic
interaction will never converge.

cheers

Lorenzo Paulatto - Paris