[QE-users] CECAM Webinars - The importance of being H.P.C. Earnest

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Wed Jun 17 21:07:22 CEST 2020

Dear all,

in case you want to know the difference between QE and CERN - tomorrow
(Thu, 3pm).

				nicola

*CECAM Webinars - The importance of being H.P.C. Earnest*

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

The power of simulation and modeling is intimately related to the
available computational resources, to the community’s awareness of these
resources, and to its proficiency in their optimal exploitation. The
relevance and impact of High Performance Computing (HPC) can be quite
different depending on the specific area, but we are all confronted with
the relationship between new methods and algorithms and their
implementation in proficient codes. We are also increasingly solicited,
by technological developments and political choices, to consider in our
research aspects related to scalability, portability and optimal
deployment of software on a rapidly evolving ecosystem of hardware
architectures.

We invite you to join us in an exploration of the relevance of HPC as an
enabler of leading-edge simulation and modeling in our new series of
webinars

*The importance of being H.P.C. Earnest*

The focus of the series will be on the science made possible by
combining state-of-the-art methods with optimal exploitation of
supercomputing resources.

The first of the five webinars planned for this event will be held on
*Thursday June 18 15:00-17:00 (CEST)* and broadcasted live on the CECAM
YouTube Channel at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-scLUoHmFo4

with the following program:

15:00   Welcome and Introduction, Ignacio Pagonabarraga (CECAM)

15:10   Nicola Marzari (EPFL): The great mysteries of computational
science, and the marvelous opportunities

15:40   Claudia Filippi (University of Twente), Anthony Scemama
(University of Toulouse III): Targeting Real chemical accuracy at the
EXascale

16:10   Giulia Galli (University of Chicago & Argonne National
Laboratory): The long and winding road: predicting and designing
material and molecular properties through computation

16:40   Questions and Answers

If you have a YouTube or Google account, you will be able to ask
questions during the talks using a chat. You can also send your
questions via email to director at cecam.org
<mailto:director at cecam.org><mailto:director at cecam.org>. A moderator will
relay as many of these questions as possible to the speakers.

More information and up to date videos can be found at:
https://www.cecam.org/cecam-webinars

Looking forward to your participation. Be well,

the CECAM team in Lausanne

PS: So far, we have been blessed with good fortune in our broadcasts.
However, we are well aware of the dangers of tempting fate so a
disclaimer is still in order. Should there be serious problems while we
are live, we ask for your understanding. All seminars will be recorded
and will be available long-term on the CECAM website.