[QE-users] optimization under pressure

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 11:29:45 CEST 2020

> Is it sufficient for structural optimization under a certain pressure?

yes

> What algorithm does QE apply during pressure application?

whatever algorithm you choose (default is bfgs)

> does it use symmetry in calculations?

yes

> If QE uses symmetry, the force and stress
> calculated under the symmetry condition prevent the transition to
> another mesh.

no, more specifically:

The code will keep the symmetry of the crystal (lattice+basis), not that
of the lattice alone. Furthermore, the cell may rotate in a way that
makes it impossible to represent it with the same choice of ibrav
afterward. This is only a problem in less symmetric systems.

You can prevent the rotation by choosing cell_dofree="ibrav" (which will
make the relax slightly less efficient) or you can rotate the cell back
at the end, using the scan_ibrav.x utility from PW/tools (the current
development version is much faster and more accurate than the python
version of QE 6.0 -> 6.5). I recommend using atomic positions in crystal
coordinates in this case.

cheers

> thank you for help and suggestions.
>
> best regards,