[QE-users] k-points and path for Band structure calculation

Hongyi Zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 11:44:54 CEST 2020

Giovanni Pizzi <giovanni.pizzi at epfl.ch> 于2020年6月3日周三 下午5:06写道:

> Dear Chaman,
>
> 1. Yes. Actually, the band paths are just conventions, and try to pass through all points and lines that have some symmetry.
> So, the “suggested” band paths depend a lot on the lattice (and actually also, in some cases, on the space group, if you want to cover all inequivalent lines, as we discuss in [1]).
>
> The band structure is not affected by the path you choose (but of course, by choosing a different path, you’ll see different bands).
>
> 2. It’s up to you. The ones of wikipedia cover a more complete path, but in many cases the relevant features (e.g. lowest conduction band, highest valence band, …) might only appear for a given material along a subset of the lines, so you can decide show show less paths if you know the material and what you are doing.
> If you are unsure, I suggest to use our seekpath tool at https://www.materialscloud.org/work/tools/seekpath - this will also standardise the cell and check the spacegroup symmetry, and e.g. distinguish between hP1 and hP2 (the path that you/wikipedia report is for what we call hP2; hP1 needs an additional segment K-H_2 that is for some space groups is not equivalent to K-H; our paper [1] explains more about this).
>
> 3. I don’t know. In general they use a shorter path and this is OK. The only thing that I’m not sure about is what is the U point for them, as this is not a standard point for a hexagonal cell. I didn’t have the time to check the paper to see if they say what U is. However, note that at U most bands do not have extrema (only one band has a minimum).
>
> So my guess, now that I look better at it, they might be just refolding the band structure and using the names of the letters from the cubic FCC lattice, refolded on the hexagonal lattice, and this might explain the U point (that exists in cF lattices).
>
> However, to confirm this, you will need to check the refolding and try to reproduce the band structure, to know if this is the correct interpretation (or check if they explain more in the paper).

I've learned that band-unfolding but not previously heard about
refolding the band structure. If the problem / properties can be
explained by unfolding method, why do the revert job which should make
the results for difficult to explains.

Any hints for this?

Regards.

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>