[QE-users] Thermal trap ionizations energy evaluation

Pietro Delugas pdelugas at sissa.it
Fri Jul 24 09:45:42 CEST 2020

Dear Timofey

Yes the compensation is between the Hartree term and the Ewald sum works independently from the functional.

Hopefully energy values should not be completely different, just  small differences which should decrease with the distance.
About using the Makov-Payne corrections directly, I think you need to be a little bit more careful and check directly how the formation energy of the defects behaves increasing the distance between the periodic images. The additional charges around the defects must be localized enough with respect of the supercell size in order that their  electric moments are well defined. In case of HfO2 I guess that together with the charge density the result should also be influenced by the electric displacement density around the charged defects (HfO2 deforms signicantly in response to electric fields).

Regards
Pietro

Sent from Mail for Windows 10