[QE-users] Error with pw2gw.x

Shivesh Sivakumar shiveshsivakumar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 20:16:32 CEST 2020

Dear Paolo,

Thank you very much for the answer. I was able to solve that issue. As a
sidenote, what does the routine take as the input? Does a QE wavefunction
generated by pp.x suffice as an input wavefunction?

Best,
Shivesh

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 12:03 AM Paolo Giannozzi <p.giannozzi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> between the band edges at gamma point. The input below generates the
>> wavefunction at VBM GAMMA.
>>
>> &INPUTPP
>> prefix='CrPs4SCF'
>> outdir='./'
>> filplot='wfn'
>> plot_num=0
>> kpoint=1
>> kband=92
>> /
>>

>> &PLOT
>> output_format=5
>> iflag=3
>> filepp='./plots'
>> fileout='./exportgcf'
>> /
>>
>> This seems to generate the wavefunction just fine. Did not encounter an
>> issue here.
>>
>> 2) To convert this wavefunction to a format that BGW can read, I used
>> pw2gw.x. Here's the input:
>>
>> &input_pw2bgw
>>    prefix = 'CrPs4SCF'
>>    outdir = './'
>>    real_or_complex = 2
>>    wfng_flag = .true.
>>    wfng_file = 'realwfnGW'
>>    wfng_kgrid = .false.
>>    wfng_nk1 = 4
>>    wfng_nk2 = 6
>>    wfng_nk3 = 1
>> /
>>
>> This seems to lead to an error :   Error in routine pw2gw (1):
>>  reading inputpp namelist.
>>
>> Would someone be able to tell me where I might have gone wrong? I am also
>> confused as to what input the pw2gw file reads - Is it the wavefunction
>> directly from my first step i.e. the output 'plots' from my pp.x
>> calculation? or should I copy paste the whole SCF directory that includes
>> the .xml file and charge density data?
>>
>> Best,
>> Shivesh Sivakumar
>> University of Washington-Seattle
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 6:37 PM Shivesh Sivakumar <
>> shiveshsivakumar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to calculate the momentum matrix elements for my material
>>> with HSE and HSE+U etc, which is not supported in QE. I already calculated
>>> the matrix elements with PBE, but I want to see if the optical selection
>>> rules change when the hybrid functional is turned on.
>>>
>>> I set out to do this with the help of BerkeleyGW- They outline a
>>> relatively simple way that takes into account only the wavefunctions in the
>>> inner product (i.e. the dipole matrix element). This 'finite difference'
>>> method is mentioned in the BerkeleyGW manual (
>>> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1111.4429.pdf, equation 46).
>>>
>>> I tried porting my wavefunctions from QE to GW using pw2gw.x but I am
>>> encountering some errors. Please bear with me while I outline the procedure
>>> I used, and the doubts I have.
>>>
>>> 1) Use pp.x to save the wavefunction in a readable format. Here is my
>>> pp.x input. To start with, I just want to calculate the matrix element
>>> between the band edges at gamma point. The input below generates the

>>> outdir='./'
>>> filplot='wfn'
>>> plot_num=0
>>> kpoint=1