[QE-users] Occupation calculation - epsilon.x code

Andrea Ferretti andrea.ferretti at nano.cnr.it
Wed Jul 8 21:30:47 CEST 2020

Dear Anibal,

you are right, it seems calculation="occ" is documented but no longer
there. As far as I understand, the reason is exactly that it is preferred
to directly compute the quantity of interest and perform convergence
checks on it (epsilon.x should be fast enough, though).

Regarding the anysotropy: as far as I remember epsilon.x does not
implement symmetries, meaning that kpts need to span the whole BZ.
If you run a scf and a nscf calculation using pw.x and does not pay
attention to this (meaning you have not set nosym=.T. noinv=.T.), kpts
will be symmetrized and only the IBZ wedge will be sampled. In turn this
can lead to spurious anysotropy (besides non-correct results).

hope it helps
Andrea

BTW: I have a newer version of epsilon.f90 contributed by Tae-Yun Kim
(Seoul National University, South Korea) which fixes a number of these
issues. Just haven't found the time to include it in the official distribution.

--
Andrea Ferretti, PhD
S3 Center, Istituto Nanoscienze, CNR