[QE-users] Smearing in metals - what are metals in the context of Quantum espresso - Reg

Michal Krompiec michal.krompiec at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 15:09:03 CEST 2020

Dear Singaravelan,
You can apply Fermi smearing to anything you want, just it won't always
make sense.
It is applied to calculations on metals (meaning "anything that has a band
gap similar to or lower than kT"), see
http://theossrv1.epfl.ch/Main/ElectronicTemperature for a detailed
discussion.
You can also apply it to insulators/semiconductors to improve convergence -
but use gaussian smearing with a small value of degauss.
Best,
Michal Krompiec
Merck Performance Materials Ltd.