[QE-users] second step of scf in relax calculations didn't converge

Matteo Cococcioni matteo.cococcioni at unipv.it
Wed Jul 1 16:48:06 CEST 2020

Hello,

it's very difficult to guess what is wrong in your input if you don't show
it.
In any case, if you have converged forces and stresses on cut-off(s) and
number of k-points/smearing, it might be a good idea to tighten your
convergence threshold and reduce the initial trust radius. Maybe your
forces and stresses are so loosely converged and your ionic/cell step so
big that the system moves to a configuration that is difficult to converge.
Or maybe your starting lattice parameter/ionic configuration are very far
from equilibrium and the system tries to make a big jump at the beginning.
Also, have you tried to start a new scf from the new ionic position?

Please add your affiliation

Regards,

Matteo

Il giorno mer 1 lug 2020 alle ore 13:45 Coralie Khabbaz <
khabbaz.coralie at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Hello,
>
> I am doing a relax calculation on my WN (48 atoms) slab. The first step of
> scf calculations converged but then the second step didn't converge in 1000
> steps (which was my limit). So, the calculations stopped, and I got many
> files (data-file.xml, charge-density.dat, paw.txt,
> spin-polarization.dat...) but no output file. If my first scf step
> converged doesn't that mean that all of my other scf steps should converge
> but need more steps? Or is there a problem in my input file?

Matteo Cococcioni
Department of Physics
University of Pavia
Via Bassi 6, I-27100 Pavia, Italy