[QE-users] Time constant of Nose-Hoover chain

Leonid Kahle leonid.kahle at epfl.ch
Wed Jan 29 12:27:23 CET 2020

Hello Sergio,

the time constant of the thermostat is a parameter of your calculation
named fnosep in the namelist IONS
(https://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/INPUT_CP.html#idm306).
Therefore, it's either what you set it to or the default (1THz), and
printed in the output as:  nose` frequency(es)       = ....

"how could I infer if thermostat is interacting strong or weakly
according to the magnitude of the time constant":
So, the parameter fnosep is a frequency. To infer how strongly a
thermostat of that frequency couples with your system, you need to
calculate the vibrational density of states (VDOS, also called power
spectrum) of your system, which is the fourier transform of the
velocity-velocity autocorrelation function ideally from an MD trajectory
without a thermostat (NVE).

The thermostat, generally speaking, will interact strongly with modes of
the same frequency as the thermostat (said fnosep) and weakly with modes
of different frequencies. (see 6.1 of Frenkel & Smit: Understanding
Molecular Simulation: From Algorithms to Applications).

Best,

     Leonid

PS: To calculate the power spectrum, there is a Python package to do it,
and you can check the code here:
https://github.com/lekah/samos/blob/master/samos/analysis/dynamics.py,
function get_power_spectrum