[QE-users] NiO band structure and density of states

Timrov Iurii iurii.timrov at epfl.ch
Wed Jan 22 10:38:10 CET 2020

Dear Poonam Sharma,

> ...i m not sure this band structure is correct or not.

Check the literature, there are many studies of NiO using DFT+U. For example, see Fig. 2(b) in Campo and Cococcioni, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 22, 055602 (2010). You can try to use exactly the same parameters of calculations as in that paper and try to reproduce Fig. 2(b).

Note also that in the latest versions of Quantum ESPRESSO there is a code (the HP code, hp.x) which can be used to compute Hubbard U from first principles.

The broadening parameter 0.05 Ry is large, I think you should reduce it. For magnetic insulators I suggest to use the procedure described in q-e/HP/examples/example02/README.

> I m a new user in quantum espresso

There are many tutorials based on Quantum ESPRESSO, it would be very useful to check them: https://www.quantum-espresso.org/news-events/complete-qe-schools-workshops-and-tutorials

HTH

Cheers,