[QE-users] How to use SCAN functional

Fabrizio Ferrari ferrariruffino.fz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 10:12:37 CET 2020

Dear Valentina,
in order to use SCAN functionals you need to link libxc during the
compilation, since they are not present in the qe internal library of xc
functionals.
To do this you have to add the libxc flags in the make.inc file in the main
folder (it is generated after the configuration). Add them to DFLAGS,
IFLAGS and LD_LIBS as indicated by the comments and then compile.
If the input dft is SCAN, then the ordinary 'mgga_x_scan' and 'mgga_c_scan'
are used. However, there are several variants of SCAN in libxc. Here you
can find all of them:
https://tddft.org/programs/libxc/functionals/
To use any of them you must enforce them from input by putting their names
in the input variable 'input_dft'. Be careful that some of them may depend
on extra-parameters and, at present, their correct operation is not
guaranteed.
I will put some more detailed comments on how to insert external parameters
(and in general on the use of libxc in qe) in the user_guide soon.

Best regards,
Fabrizio