[QE-users] Enquiries About Quantum Espresso (Installation & Operation)

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 12:59:03 CET 2020

I don't know about Cygwin. Some time ago I managed to compile and run QE on
Windows as described here:

www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/user_guide/node14.html#SECTION00037700000000000000
(well, sort of: the executable that had been working at home refused to
open directories when I used it in a hands-on session, much to my dismay).
If you have Windows 10 you may enable the Windows Subsystem for Linux and
run Linux from Windows. It is maybe not efficient  for production, but I
use it for development and it works very well.

Paolo

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:20 PM Giuseppe Mattioli <
giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it> wrote:

> Dear Salah
> I cannot help you with your installation problem, but let me add that
> even if it is possible to install quantum espresso on Windows
> machines, things are much easier using Linux. Technical support is not
> provided, AFAIK. You may ask your supervisor, or ask (but with
> moderation...) this mailing list, specially when things that should
> work don't.
> HTH
> Giuseppe
>
> elmoselhy at netscape.net ha scritto:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > This is a post-doctoral researcher in energy engineering andquantum
> > mechanics. I am interested in Quantum Espresso for running
> > quantummechanics calculations. I have installed CYGWin in order to
> > install QuantumEspresso and have installed WinMostar in order to run
> > Quantum Espresso.
> >

> > The software program CYGWin is available forfree. The software
> > program Quantum Espresso is seemingly available for free.However,
> > the software WinMostar is not available for free and it costs USD
> > 1200to get the full functionality for academic research
> > purposes ( https://winmostar.com/en/purchase_en.html ).
> >

> > I have installed the "Free Edition" ofthe software WinMostar
> > ( https://winmostar.com/en/download_en.html ). Unfortunately almost
> > all the basicfunctionalities for running electronic band structure
> > calculations and phononsdispersion are currently disabled.
> >

> > Thus, it would be much appreciated if you haveadvised on:
> >

> > (i) Can I install and run Quantum Espresso forfree without need for
> > installing the full version of WinMostar?
> >
> > (ii) Is there a contact person available inAustria / Germany for the
> > technical support on Quantum Espresso?
> >

> > I wish you all a prosperous yearahead. I thankfully look forward to
> > your consideration and to hearing fromyou in this regard.
> >

> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Dr. Salah Elmoselhy     Google Scholar
> > Web-page: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=vPNI2PEAAAAJ
>

> GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
> CNR - ISTITUTO DI STRUTTURA DELLA MATERIA
> Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
> I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
> Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
> Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316
> E-mail: <giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it>

Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222