[QE-users] Calculation of energy due to vacancy

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Wed Jan 8 09:13:36 CET 2020

Dear Pooja Vyas

Your input opens just fine in xcrysden. However, to create a vacancy,
you first need to generate a supercell and only then delete a given
atom. Otherwise if you stay with the unit-cell, you will either delete
all Ca or all O atoms.

You can generate a "diagonal" supercell with xcrysden (simply multiply
the cells), but before saving the XSF shift to "translational
asymmetric unit" display mode (the 2nd little black button at the
bottom toolbox). Then you can use the coordinates from the "ATOMS"
section of the XSF file. Note that if you do not shift to
"translational asymmetric unit" display mode the atoms listed in ATOMS
section will contain some periodic replicas.

Best regards, Tone

PS: please sing your emails with your affiliation as to comply with the
mailing list rules.
--
Jožef Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
(tel: +386-1-477-3523 // fax: +386-1-251-9385)