[QE-users] Intel MKL vs AMD BLIS 2

Pamela Whitfield whitfieldps1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 12:53:03 CET 2020

Happy New Year all.
I'm speccing up a new workstation to replace my old dual V1 Xeon system
that runs GPU-accelerated and non-accelerated QE-6.4.1 and 6.5. Recent
developments from AMD make the choice of platform more difficult than just
a few months ago for an office-based Linux/Windows workstation.

On the face of it the Threadripper 3960x should easily outperform the
i9-10980xe in the CPU-based tasks under Linux but the MKL CPU library is
very highly optimised for Intel CPUs. The AMD CPU libraries were updated
from 1.3 to 2.0 that I understand brought significant improvements.
Does anyone have any experience compiling QE with the new AMD libraries?

Thanks
Pam Whitfield