[QE-users] What's representation 0 in ph.x?

ykhuang ykhuang at dicp.ac.cn
Thu Feb 20 01:08:02 CET 2020

Hello Paulatto,Thank you for your patient answer. Actually in the slab system, the absorption is very weak. Even it is possible that the absorption is still overestimated. So I think it makes sense to treat CO as a decoupled part.I'll try to calculate the entire matrix or find other ways.Thank you again. Best regards. Yike Huang.
-------- 原始信息 --------发件人: Lorenzo Paulatto <paulatz at gmail.com> 日期: 2020/2/20  03:33  (GMT+08:00) 收件人: users at lists.quantum-espresso.org 主题: Re: [QE-users] What's representation 0 in ph.x? > start_irr = 235> last_irr = 240Hello,I did not understant that the molecule was adsorbed on a surface! In this case it makes sense to compute several q-points (not orthogonal to the surface!) However, if you set start_irr and last_irr, you are only computing a few rows of the dynamical matrix. As the phonons are the square roots of the eigenvalues of this matrix, you need the entire matrix in order to compute them.You can compute differents irreducible representations (irr) separately and then combine the results together as explained in the Grid_example of phonon. But you still need all the matrix. If you have reason to think that the CO vibration is completely decoupled from the rest of the system, you may try to get its vibrational frequency by doing finite differences. It would also be possible to modify phonon to only compute the minor of the dynamical matrix that involve CO, then diagonalize it, but it is not currently implemented.hth-- Lorenzo Paulatto - Paris_______________________________________________Quantum ESPRESSO is supported by MaX (www.max-centre.eu/quantum-espresso)users mailing list users at lists.quantum-espresso.orghttps://lists.quantum-espresso.org/mailman/listinfo/users