[QE-users] How to determine hubbard_u and hubbard_alpha on DFT+U

Timrov Iurii iurii.timrov at epfl.ch
Sat Feb 15 12:35:31 CET 2020

Dear Kefan,

If you browse the pw_forum archive on this topic, you will find a lot of useful information.

Hubbard_alpha is used in the framework of constrained DFT (linear response approach), using supercells. Please see M. Cococcioni and S. de Gironcoli, Phys. Rev. B 71, 035105 (2005).

But there is a more user-friendly way to compute Hubbard U from first principles. It is based on density functional perturbation theory (DFPT). The value of computed U is exactly the same as if you obtain it using the constrained DFT approach mentioned above. Please have a look at this paper: I. Timrov, N. Marzari, and M. Cococcioni, Phys. Rev. B 98, 085127 (2018). Please use the latest version of Quantum ESPRESSO 6.5 : there is a code called HP for calculation of U using DFPT.

Greetings,

Iurii

--
Dr. Iurii Timrov