[QE-users] Energy for Cells of Different Charge

Robert Stanton stantor at clarkson.edu
Tue Dec 29 16:03:22 CET 2020

Dear Tamas Karpati,

    Yes definitely sorry for the unclear original question. The E(a+b) -
[E(a) +E(b)] quantity is the one of interest here. My concern though is
that the reference for total dft energies here matters as it crops up in
the finals result for the formula above, even if all references are the
same. It seems from trying several things that this is ends up being
problematic in the case of cells with different charge specified.

   I know the QE faqs say reference levels are not well defined when using
PBCs, but is there any way to try to extrapolate to vacuum (all cells are
same size with a lot of vacuum in all directions) or am I maybe missing
something in the approach and something else is the problem? Thanks again
for the information!

Regards,
Robert Stanton
Graduate Student