[QE-users] Occupations while vc-relax calculation

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Mon Dec 21 11:21:52 CET 2020

Dear unknown user (please sign always your posts with name and affiliation)

Yes, you do. A metal has intrinsically partial occupation of bands.
The calculation will likely not converge if you treat a metal like an
insulator.
HTH
Giuseppe

Quoting Mainak Ghosh <mainakghosh555555 at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>    while 'vc-relax' calculation for a metal do i have to use
> occupations,smearing and degauss ? As we know that occupation is used for
> calculating the fermi energy accurately, but for 'vc-relax' we find lowest
> total energy of the unit cell.
>    Please, correct me if needed.
>    Thanks in advanced

GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316