[QE-users] definition of the hyperfine coupling constant in QE-GIPAW

Gregor Mali gregor.mali at ki.si
Fri Dec 18 15:08:00 CET 2020

Dear Davide,

I am studying several Cu(II)-based systems. One of them is Cu-L-alanine. Crystallographic unit cell of this complex comprises two Cu atoms and four L-alanine molecules. Hyperfine coupling constants on 13C nuclei calculated by QE-GIPAW were comparable to hyperfine coupling constants calculated by Orca, where the structural model used in Orca consisted of only one Cu atom and two L-alanine molecules.

The next system was one of metal-organic frameworks. Its unit cell, supplied to QE-GIPAW calculations, contained 12 Cu atoms, whereas the model used with Orca comprised 6 Cu atoms. The latter structural model described the same motif as was the one contained in the unit cell of periodic calculations. Nevertheless, hyperfine coupling constants on 13C nuclei obtained with QE-GIPAW were about 9-times as large as hyperfine coupling constants obtained with Orca:

Orca : QE-GIPAW

-0.9 :       -7.9
2.4 : 21.0
0.3 : 3.3

For another MOF system again a large factor was between the QE-GIPAW and Orca calculated constants.

Best regards
Gregor