[QE-users] time consuming band structure calculation for a supercell

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatz at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 18:01:15 CET 2020

> Aslo I have tried running the band calculation on different systems
> (local pc with 12 nodes) and HPC (with 36 and 72 nodes). Every time I
> have the same problem. I have tried QE 6.5 and 6.4 for this
> calculation all with same issue.

For comparison, I have here a calculation with 119 electrons, 10
k-points, 100 Ry kinetic energy cutoff. One SCF iteration takes about 5
seconds on 32 CPUs (2 nodes of a very old computing cluster that has
since been retired). From 120 to 190 electrons there should be around a
factor 4 of CPU times. But it would be easier to say which is the source
of the discrepancy if you sent your input and output files to teh list,
to have a look

cheers