[QE-users] Large calculation Anecdotes

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Wed Dec 9 18:09:56 CET 2020

Dear Aaron
look into the QE "official" papers.
hundreds and thousands atoms can be done and have been done (not on a
desktop pc, of course. You need an HPC facility).
I suppose no code can manage millions within DFT (QM/MM is a different thing).
HTH
Giuseppe

Quoting Aaron Friesz <friesz at usc.edu>:

> Hello,  I'm looking for some help in determining how large I can make a
> calculation, in terms of individual atoms.  I have three possible runs and
> I'd like to see if I can get an idea how feasible they are.  The first has
> hundreds, the second has thousands and the third has millions of atoms.
> Has anyone done similar calculations?  If so, how many atoms, how many
> processors and how long did it take?  I'm not looking to start a
> competition, just interested in what has been done in these size ranges, if
> anything.
>
> Thanks for reading and any anecdotes,
> Aaron

GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316