[QE-users] D3Q code stopped due to davcio error

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatz at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 13:12:09 CET 2020

> Yes it took little more than 5 days to compute only the first q-point.
> anyway it seems that I should use 1x1x1 grid instead of 2x2x2. But are
> you suggesting to do the single mode calculation with 1x1x1 grid or
> the "mode=full" using the 1x1x1 grid?

Yes, but no need to do it: you have done it already. You can just call
d3_qq2rr and specify "1 1 1" as the grid size:

ls anh*| d3_qq2rr.x 1 1 1

and it will automatically compute the force constants from the
calculation at (0,0,0). This way you can immediately test how it works.

If you want to try the 2x2x2 grid, I would use 10 pools and maybe try
with *fewer* CPUs per pool: at the moment you are using 128 which
requires a lot of communications. If the calculation fits in RAM, I
would recommend keeping each pool on a single computing node.

You may try to use some local scratch in order to avoid running out of
disk space (ask the cluster managers what to use).

Finally, if you manage to get everything running, you can run al the
q-points triplet simultaneously as different batch jobs by setting
"first" and "last". You can have the same outdir and prefix, as long as
they work on different triplets, they will not interfere (this is true
for d3q, but not in general for other linear response codes)

hth