[QE-users] Ground state of DFT+U

Malte Sachs malte.sachs at chemie.uni-marburg.de
Mon Aug 24 19:33:57 CEST 2020

Dear DFT+U experts,

I am wondering how to know what is the ground state of a DFT+U
calculation from an ab initio point of view. As approximated DFT is not
variational I think I cannot use the total energy as an argument.

In my case I have calculated the electronic structure of NdCo in the
CsCl structure type using QE-6.6. The f-orbitals splits into three
representations: au, t2u and t2g. For Nd, I expect that it has a valency
of three and that the t2g orbitals are fully occupied for one spin.
However, I find that occupying the three t2g orbitals by 2/3 and the au
orbital by one electron yields a lower energy than the expected
occupation. So I wonder if I can trust in this "ground state" that is
against my intuition or if this is a well known effect of DFT+U.

All hints are welcome, best regards,

Malte

--
Malte Sachs