[QE-users] Antisite and dopant calculations

Mona Asadinamin Mona.a at uga.edu
Mon Aug 10 02:24:18 CEST 2020

Dear all;

I am doing Hubbard calculations on lithium niobate; specifically, I am simulating the Nb antisite (that sits in a Li site) with charge state +5.
How do we simulate this situation in QE?
I have set tot_charge=5 and also set the initial occupations of the Nb d orbitals to zero; however after a scf iteration, the antisite Nb d orbitals will gain partial occupations, similar to other Nb atoms.

So, how can I empty the d orbitals?

This procedure is what was mentioned in the paper:

PHYSICAL REVIEW MATERIALS 1, 054406 (2017)

But, I do not understand the underlying physics. When we put a Nb atom in Li site, it should lose 4 electrons and in real world these are shared with oxygens in the lattice. But if we empty the Nb d orbitals initially, is that physical?

Best regards;

Mona Asadi Namin
Graduate student
Center for simulational physics