[QE-users] Lithium Niobate Hubbard Calculations

Timrov Iurii iurii.timrov at epfl.ch
Thu Aug 6 10:10:18 CEST 2020

Drear Mona Asadi Namin,

I had a quick look at your problem. You defined two types of Nb atoms: "Nb1" and "Nb". Then you specified only "Hubbard_U(1)=4", which means that the Hubbard U correction is applied only to "Nb1" and no U correction for "Nb". Is this really what you want? Why do you define two types of Nb atoms?

> Also, the number of orbitals treated with Hubbard term is printed as 3 whereas it should be 4!

I do not understand this point. Could you clarify please?

In your input you have:

> occupations='smearing',
> smearing='mv',
> degauss=0.001,

The broadening of 0.001 Ry is extremely small, and your k-mesh is 2x2x2 with a shift for 80-atoms supercell. The default value is 0.02 Ry, so I would try that, and then decrease it if necessary.

> PHYSICAL REVIEW MATERIALS 1, 054406 (2017)

Your calculation is quite delicate, because you are trying to adjust manually the total magnetization and to force some eigenvalues of the occupation matrix to be 0 or 1. Maybe you can contact the corresponding author of this paper and ask for the input.

As we can see it is very difficult to reproduce results of some papers. This is why it is very useful and important to provide the source data together with the paper (using some public repositories, as e.g. Materials Cloud Archive: https://archive.materialscloud.org/)

HTH

Regards,

Iurii

--