[QE-users] Raman output displaying stars

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 09:54:00 CEST 2020

Hello,
if I remember correctly, a k-point grid that includes the K point
invariably causes problems in graphene. This is because graphene is
metallic at this point, its Raman tensor diverges.

To have the Raman tensor correctly, you should use a much larger grid
and take care to not include the K-point, i.e. the grid dimension must
not be a multiple of 3. I recommend trying 64x64x1

regards

On 4/19/20 4:58 PM, grayj6 at rpi.edu wrote:
> I am having an issue computing the Raman spectrum for graphene. The
> output is as follows:
> <#>
>
> # mode   [cm-1]    [THz]      IR          Raman   depol.fact
>
>      1  -4834.05 -144.9213    0.0000***************    0.7500
>
>      2     -0.00   -0.0000    0.0000***************    0.7500
>
>      3     -0.00   -0.0000    0.0000***************    0.7500
>
>      4      0.00    0.0000    0.0000***************    0.7500
>
>      5      0.00    0.0000    0.0000***************    0.7500
>
>      6      0.00    0.0000    0.0000***************    0.7500
>

> I did the relaxation and scf calculations using LDA, with a cutoff of
> 120 Ry, and force convergence of 1.0d-6, etot convergence of 1.0d-8, and
> electronic convergence of 1.0e-10. I used a 30 30 1 kpoint grid and used
> the grimme-d2 van der waals option. I also did not include smearing as
> the phonon calculation yelled at me when I tried. I am using a two atom
> cell, is this the problem?

Lorenzo Paulatto - Paris