[QE-users] epsilon.x and hybrids

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Wed Apr 8 19:42:35 CEST 2020

Dear all
I don't want to raise the confusion level, so please correct me if I'm
wrong... If you want to calculate a heavily approximate absorption
spectrum of a (large and non-symmetrical) periodic system after a
ground state hybrid calculation, there used to be an option in the
turbo_davidson.x and turbo_lanczos.x codes, namely no_hxc=.true.,
which permits an independent-electron calculation. At least, hybrid
functionals and Gamma ground states should be properly treated by such
codes, resulting in an absorption spectrum compatible with those
obtained by using epsilon.x, which, AFAIK, calculates
<occupied|r|virtual> contributions to the absorption spectrum.
However, I don't know how much this kind of calculation is expensive
for large supercells. Of course if you are not interested in
absorption, then my suggestion is nonsense...
HTH
Giuseppe