[QE-users] Schrödinger & Kohn: A Stack Exchange for the modeling of molecules and materials

Rashid Rafeek V Valappil rashidr at iiserb.ac.in
Fri Apr 3 06:41:36 CEST 2020

The site is a proposed Q&A site based in the stackexchange.com network of
sites basically focused on materials modeling. Just like stackoverflow.com
which is mainly for programming related questions. And there are many other
Q&A sites <https://stackexchange.com/sites> in the network on lots of other
topics. "Schrödinger & Kohn" is a name which is proposed so that the name
of the site is more catchy. It is not finalised yet.

area51.stackexchange.com is the site where proposals for new sites are
started. This creation process involves steps to ensure whether a topic has
critical mass to sustain an individual site and deciding exactly what
topics will be a part of the site and what will not. To know more about
this process you may refer to the Area51 FAQ
<https://area51.stackexchange.com/faq>. In short, there are three phases:

1. Definition phases: People follow the proposal and example questions
which are intended to be part of the site are proposed. These get upvoted
or downvoted. This phase is over and the list of example questions proposed
can be seen here
<https://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/122958/materials-modeling?phase=definition&tab=votes#tab-top>
.
2. Commitment phase: A minimum of 200 people should commit to take part in
the site when it gets launched. Out of this atleast 100 of them should have
experience with using other sites in the Stack Exchange network. This is
the phase the site is currently in.
3. Beta phase: This is the phase where the actual site gets launched on a
"probationary basis" to see if people use it. This is expected to happen
within two weeks from now.

The proposal for the site may get deleted in any of these phases if it
fails to achieve activity.