[QE-users] What Is Estimated SCF Accuracy

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat Sep 28 18:51:32 CEST 2019

Dear Ben,

I think you are right on both accounts... thanks for pointing out the
problem in eq A7

the equation in reciprocal space equivalent to  A6 and correctly coded
in PW/src/scf_mod.f90 in function rho_ddot (lines ~450 - 490 )

0.5 4pi e^2 Omega \sum |Delta_rho|^2/|G|^2

it has the correct dimensions of      e^2 x [length^-1]

so A7 should be multiplied by Omega^2/2 to make it correct.

The root of the equivalence between A6 and the (corected) A7 is that

\int exp(+iGr) 1/|r| d3r = 4pi/|G|^2;  rho(r) = \sum_G exp(+iGr) rho(G); and

\int exp(+i(G-G')r) d3r = Omega delta(G,G')

where in the last term the integral is done over the unit cell because
we are looking for a "per cell" quantity.

best regards

stefano