[QE-users] NEB images with different cell parameters possible?

A. Jain aj520 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 5 21:05:22 CEST 2019

Hi All,

I would like to conduct an neb study on my system (ruthenium based
crystals) where photoisomerisation takes place. We would like to
investigate the mechanism of photoisomerisation. However the ground
state and irradiated states (geometries obtained via accurate xrd
experiments) have very slightly different cell parameters due to the
magnitude of the photoisomerisation.

The Ground State values are :Axis (Ang): A=8.3891, B=12.5019, C=13.1614.
Angles (deg): a=99.481, b=98.613, c=90.27.
Excited state: Axis (Ang): A=8.4845, B=12.4241, C=13.3243. Angles (deg):
a=101.456, b=98.732, c=91.001.
As you can see the values effectively only change by 1%.

So I would like to know if is it possible to conduct neb on images whose
cell parameters also change, ie I would use the ground state as the
starting image and the excited state as the final image? I expect the
answer is no. If not, has anybody come across a similar problem or has
any suggestions for how I could approach this issue?

Thank you for your help.

Apoorv Jain (PhD Student)
Department of Physics, University of Cambridge