[QE-users] Magnetic anisotropy energy in magnetic insulators

BARRETEAU Cyrille cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
Mon Nov 11 10:55:13 CET 2019

Dear Sitangshu

You should have a look at the example (in PP) on how to use the FT to extract the magnetic anisotropy energy and its orbital/site decomposition. FT ca be applied to insulators as well as metals.

https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.90.205409
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1367-2630/ab3060/pdf
https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.04532
https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.93.144405

You should 1st perform a scf  collinear calculation and then two nscf non-collinear (+SOC) calculations starting from previous scf. Then use projwfc (with correct input) to extract the MAE and site/orbital decomposition.

best
Cyrille

ps: use recent versions of pw (>6.2)

Cyrille Barreteau
CEA Saclay, IRAMIS, SPEC Bat. 771
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, FRANCE
+33 1 69 08 38 56 /+33  6 47 53 66 52  (mobile)
email:     cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
Web:     http://iramis.cea.fr/Pisp/cyrille.barreteau/