[QE-users] charge is wrong: smearing is needed

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Sat Nov 2 20:37:14 CET 2019

Dear Mohamed,

   At least you have an odd number of electrons but you do not specify a
spin polarisation in your input. The system might well be a doublet or a
quartet...

   You can also try using with the smearing/broadening of the occupation
numbers: It does not harm, and if and when the self-consistent cycle has
converged you can investigate if there is indeed a gap between the
occupied and unoccupied orbitals or not.

   (Usually in a system with vacuum I use the mixing mode 'local-TF')

     Greetings from Paris,

        apsi

   Ari Paavo Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
     Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), Département de Chimie, Paris
     Mobile (F) : +33 789 37 24 25    (CH) : +41 79 71 90 935