[QE-users] higher total energy in the last stage of vc-relax

Kevin May kmay at mit.edu
Wed Jun 19 10:50:52 CEST 2019

Hi Mehrdad,

I forgot that you could just set ibrav = 3 instead of using the
conventional BCC unit cell. That way you can just use one atom in the
calculation. Also, don't forget to set a non-zero starting magnetization
and change ecutrho to be 1080. If you make these 3 adjustments to your

I did a quick calculation of bulk BCC Fe on my laptop and got 329.27274577
Ry. Using your supercell energies I got a vacancy formation energy of 1.69
eV. Pretty close to the 1.66 eV  reported by Jiang et al. that your
reference uses. They used PW91-GGA, different PAW datasets and different
software so I think that's pretty good. Double-check for yourself though,
of course.

Best,

Kevin May, PhD
Postdoctoral Associate