[QE-users] how to generate metallic glasses through pw.x module md calculation

Leonid Kahle leonid.kahle at epfl.ch
Mon Jun 17 09:58:31 CEST 2019

Dear Song,

I'm not really an expert, but I hope this answer help you:

There is no such feature as an autopilot for PW to my knowledge.

I see three solutions:

A) You use the ion_temperature = 'reduce-T' (see
https://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/INPUT_PW.html#idm899). You can
reduce the temperature every /nraise/ steps by /delta_t/. (which seems
to do what you have in mind)
This will use the velocity rescaling thermostat.

B) If you want to use a different thermostat implemented, you can reset
the temperature in an outer loop as in (bash):

for tempw in {1500..300..50}; do

     echo $tempw;

     sed -e "s/TEMPW/${tempw}" template.in > md_${tempw}.in

     mpirun -np X pw.x <md_${tempw}.in > md_${tempw}.out

done

Make sure each run restarts properly from the previous (including
positions and velocities).
If you keep the same prefix and outfolder, than restart_mode='restart'
will do what you want.

C) If, and only if, you are comfortable coding a bit in Fortan, and you
have quite a complex temperature regime, you can go into
PW/src/dynamics_module.f90

There, you will find a line:

IF ( control_temp ) CALL apply_thermostat()

For QE6.4.1 this is line 219, for example.

Before this line, you can reset the temperature as a function of the
current MD-step.

temperature = complicated_function(istep)

I haven't tested this of course.

Best,

     Leonid Kahle

/Doctoral Assistant //EPFL STI IMX THEOS////CH-1015 Lausanne (Switzerland)/