[QE-users] stress & phonon calculations with vdw_corr

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Wed Jun 12 12:38:20 CEST 2019

Dear Paolo
Thanks!

> The stress for noncolinear magnetism + nonlocal functionals, XDM,
> Tkatchenko-Scheffler is not implemented. I don't think LSDA + XDM or
> Tkatchenko-Scheffler is implemented. For LSDA + nonlocal functionals there
> is a preprocessing option (-D__SPIN_BALANCED) that may or may not work. All
> the rest should work. Beware: no guarantee that unimplemented cases are
> flagged as such. Please report if something fails silently.

I need to study only closed shell systems. This should make things simpler

> See the header of phonon.f90 (if you find it confusing: so do I). Only
> nonlocal functionals and DFT-D2 are implemented in the phonon code.

Thus it should be possible that a given closed shell organic crystal
can be optimized (pw.x with 'vc-relax') by using rVV10 or c09-vdwdf
(nonlocal vdw functionals), and then IR spectra calculated (like in
example 15) using either PAW-US or NC functionals...?

Best
Giuseppe