[QE-users] Large (and seemingly random) differences between CPU and WALL time

Pietro Delugas pdelugas at sissa.it
Thu Jun 6 14:58:59 CEST 2019

Hello

it is a strange behavior which does not depend on the program, there may
be many reasons, it's very hard to guess:

starting from the most trivial things:

* it  could be that some other application is using the same processors
as you at the same time ?

* you are using a file system that is not very efficient, e.g. you are
using the home filesystem instead of the scratch disk or something of
the kind.

* you are using multithreading but you don't have enough processors to
do that ? Try to set the envinroment variable OMP_NUM_THREADS to 1
before running.

I hope it helps

Pietro