[QE-users] [PW_forum] IFC file structure

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 11:21:17 CEST 2019

q2r.x produces a list of force constant order by unit cell inside the
super-cell, the distance between the atoms is not taken into account.
Also, they come from a finite q-point grid calculation, hence they are
periodic on the supercell reciprocal to the grid size.

Consider that building force constants is less trivial than you put it,
because the positions of atoms in the unit cell is free (i.e. they could
be outside it), and because not all cells are simple cubic, building a
list of neighbors to a certain atom requires building a Wigner-Seitz
(WS) cell.

This done on the fly by the matdyn code via the wsinit/wsweight codes,
which are quite obscure but not impossible to understand if you think
about what the WS cell is. Also, atoms could be on the border of each
other WS cell, which requires splitting the force constant among all
equivalent positions to maintain symmetry. I call these operations
"centering".

However, if all you want are the centered force constants, the d3_q2r.x
code included in the D3Q package (make d3q) does it. It takes the same
input as q2r and produces a very similar force constant file.

kind regards

Lorenzo Paulatto - Paris