[QE-users] Calculation of epsilon.x

Pietro Delugas pdelugas at sissa.it
Tue Jul 2 15:05:01 CEST 2019

Dear Anuja

the calculation with a very dense k-point mesh is most likely looping
through the k points and taking a lot of time before printing out anything.

It is not necessary though to run the scf calculation with the very fine
mesh; it is sufficient to run the scf calculation with a feaisble k
point mesh for which you are confident to be at convergens, once done
the scf calculation with the feasible converged mesh  you may run  nscf
calculation with the finer mesh that you  need for the epsilon.x
calculation.

To speed up the calculation you may try to use the k-point parallelism:
in suppose that you are using 20 MPI processes and that 4 of them are
sufficient to run the iterative diagonalization for one k point, you can
divide your 20 MPI processes in 5 pools each diagonalizing and assigned
subset of the total k points. To do this you just have to run your pw.x
command as:

mpirun -np 20 pw.x -nk 5 -i input_nscf > out_nscf

I hope this helps.

kind regards - Pietro