[QE-users] [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Question on Initial and final energies in NEB

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Fri Feb 22 16:45:03 CET 2019

Dear Martina

> 1) How is the energy for the Initial and final structure estimated
> when I keep the two configurations frozen?

By performing a single-point scf calculation. This is done in the
first neb.x step

> 2)Should it be exactly the same as the final relaxed energies that I
> would get from completely separate calculations with the same
> simulation conditions and same geometries?
> 3) If they are not expected to be exactly the same which factors
> does the difference I may see depend on?

The energy should be the same, but keep also in mind that 1) neb.x
energies are printed in eV, pw.x energies in Ry; 2) conv_thr may be
different in the two calculations. It can be lowered down to two order
of magnitude below the input value near convergence of bfgs in "relax"
calculations, and it is strictly corresponding to the input value in
the first neb.x iteration; 3) You may be trapped in a different spin
state, you should check the PW.out file of the corresponding image to
be sure.

HTH
Giuseppe

"Stella, Martina" <martina.stella at kcl.ac.uk> ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to NEBs calculations and I am getting familiar with the
> method. I have a couple of questions, maybe trivial, but for which I
> don't have an answer yet. Hopefully someone can help.
>
> 1) How is the energy for the Initial and final structure estimated
> when I keep the two configurations frozen?
> 2)Should it be exactly the same as the final relaxed energies that I
> would get from completely separate calculations with the same
> simulation conditions and same geometries?
> 3) If they are not expected to be exactly the same which factors
> does the difference I may see depend on?
>
> Thanks.
>

> M. Stella
>
> Post-Doctoral researcher
>
> Physics Department, King's College London
>
> Strand,London WC2R 2LS UK

GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316