[QE-users] about the option "assume_isolated=2D"

sohier thibault.sohier at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 12:34:09 CET 2019

Dear Juliana,

In principle, with the flag "assume_isolated= 2D", there should be
nothing to take out from the band energies. That is, the vacuum level is
zero. The flag is designed to give the result one would get with the 3D
code in the limit of infinite distance between the periodic images.

A way to get the same number with the 3D code is, as you do, to subtract
the vacuum level. The fact that 2D band energies are equivalent to the
3D ones minus the vacuum level has been tested on a quite large number
of 2D materials by some people in my group. It works well, except when
there are out-of-plane polarization or other peculiarities in the
electrostatics, which should not be your case.

In your case, given the 90 Ang you use, you should be relatively close
to the limit of infinite distance between periodic image limit, at least
within energies much smaller than 1eV! In fact, I would expect that you
get the same band energies within some meV with or without the flag...

So... There is definitely a problem here. Could you send input, output,
version of the code, etc... so I could have a closer look?

Thanks,
Thibault Sohier
THEOS, EPFL, Lausanne