[QE-users] Does order of atoms matter in Quantum Espresso?

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Dec 30 23:34:24 CET 2019

the order of the entries in the pseudopotential list or in the atomic
position list should not affect the result.

however you are not changing only the order.

1) you are also swapping the two atoms... this too should not change
anything but is not the same as changing the order only :)

2) the first calculation is metallic (with a quite large gaussian
smearing, 0.05 Ry is ~ 0.7 eV) the second uses the default insulating
setting. THIS may have a big impact, for two reasons: i) the fundamental
gap in AlSb, if I remember correctly, is not very large .. comparable to
the smearing width used; ii) being AlSb a polar material the vibrational
properties have a non analytic component ruled by the macroscopic
dielectric properties (Z*, epsilon_infty) that are disabled in the
phonon calculation of metals (where epsilon_infty diverges).

Additionally, in the phonon calculation step you should make sure you do
compute Z* and epsilon and include them in the subsequent phonon
dispersion calculation step.

HTH

stefano