[QE-users] Large difference between experimental lattice constant and the relaxed one w/ and w/o dft-d3

Mladenovic Marko marko.mladenovic at epfl.ch
Fri Dec 20 15:34:53 CET 2019

Dear Houcine,

First of all, which exchange-correlation functional are you using? If you are using LDA, that may explain the underestimation of the lattice constants. Taking the experimental lattice and relaxing the structure without relaxing the cell ('relax' instead of 'vc-relax') is a valid approach. I personally prefer to relax both, provided that the level of theory I am using gives the lattice constants that are accurate enough. The system doesn't look to me like something to which I would directly apply DFT-D3, but I haven't studied this type of materials.

Best wishes,

Marko