[QE-users] Problem with vc-relax simulation of Pb (cell dimensions are much smaller than they should be)

sarashs sarashs at ece.ubc.ca
Sun Dec 8 21:54:00 CET 2019

Hi quantum espresso users,

I am performing a vc-relax simulation on pb. I have included my input
file for your convenience. The problem that I have is that the minimum
energy cell is more than 1 Angstrom smaller on each dimension (3.25
Angstrom) while it should be around 4.95. I am wondering if you can help
me figure out why? I have tried increasing the number of K points,
ecutwfc and I tried with different degauss values but I was not
successful in converging to the right size.

Is this an xc functional issue? or something else?

&control
   calculation =   "vc-relax"   ,
    restart_mode = 'from_scratch' ,
    outdir='$TMP_DIR/' ,
    pseudo_dir = '$PSEUDO_DIR' ,
    disk_io = 'default' ,
    verbosity = 'default' ,
    tstress = .true. ,
    tprnfor = .true. ,

  /
  &system
     ibrav = 2, celldm(1) =4.9505, nat= 1, ntyp= 1,
     ecutwfc = 25.0, ecutrho = 300.0
     occupations='smearing', smearing='gaussian', degauss=0.02
  /
  &electrons
     diagonalization='david'
     conv_thr = 1.0e-8